Musculoskeletal (Orthopedic) Rehabilitation at Spaulding Cambridge
From minor back pain to major orthopedic surgery, we’re dedicated to helping you get back to doing the things you love. Losing freedom of movement due to an orthopedic injury, illness or surgery can be challenging. We’ll be at your side with expert care and support as you rebuild your strength and mobility to allow you to return to life.
Spaulding’s Orthopedic Rehabilitation Program (also known as Musculoskeletal Rehabilitation) has many components, including physical and occupational therapies, minimally-invasive pain procedures, sports injury rehabilitation, and specialized pediatric services. Our program brings together the region’s foremost rehabilitative physicians, nurses, therapists, and other clinicians to offer you, your child or family member superior rehabilitation care.
Spaulding's Approach to Musculoskeletal (Orthopedic) Rehab
We go beyond addressing pain. Our therapeutic approach to musculoskeletal (orthopedic) rehab works to facilitate your return to an active lifestyle, including competitive athletics, work, leisure activities, hobbies or pain-free living. Our goal is to empower you to overcome physical limitations while reducing healing time when possible. Our therapists excel at guiding you through lifestyle changes that enhance overall health and wellbeing now and into the future. In addition, our pediatric centers have the expertise to help children facing both temporary limitations and disabling conditions reach their full potential for growth and success through every phase of development.
Conditions We Treat
- Arthritis/Degenerative Joint Disease
- Back and neck pain
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Congenital conditions
- Foot and ankle pain and sprains
- Hip, wrist, elbow, pelvic and other fractures
- Hip sprains, strains and other injuries
- Knee sprains, strains and other injuries
- Plantar Fasciitis
- Post-surgical procedures
- Rotator cuff injuries
- Sacro-iliac joint pain and dysfunctions
- Shoulder impingement syndrome
- Sports injuries
- Tendonitis and tendinosis
- Total joint replacements
- Traumatic injury
- Work injuries
Inpatient Musculoskeletal (Orthopedic) Rehab
As an inpatient, you’ll be the center of a multi-disciplinary team helping you maximize return of function, perform daily activities, and return to work, school and leisure pursuits. You will learn the foundational skills for independent living by assuming greater responsibility to direct and perform your own care. We also educate family members to play an active support role while you are in the hospital and after returning home.
Our Inpatient Musculoskeletal (Orthopedic) Rehabilitation Program includes:
- Physical and occupational therapy focused on progressive mobilization; restoration of function; improving strength, endurance and flexibility
- Interdisciplinary pain management
- Pre- and post-surgical care
- Bracing and orthotics
- Ongoing communication and consultation with referring surgeons and physicians to ensure effective treatment and continuity of care
- Education about risk factors and injury prevention
- Functional living areas to practice newly learned therapy techniques and ensure a safe discharge
- Adaptive sports and recreational programs
Outpatient Musculoskeletal (Orthopedic) Rehab
Our outpatient clinicians will design a treatment program centered around your goals and based on a comprehensive assessment of how your impairments and functional limitations impact daily activities. Our clinicians use objective measurements to track your improvements, routinely reassessing and modifying your care plan so that you receive the most appropriate treatment to achieve your goals. Our therapists keep your primary-care or referring physician up to date on your progress, allowing for better informed decisions regarding continued care. Often our therapists and rehabilitation physicians collaborate, resulting in enhanced communication and coordination of treatment goals.