COVID Rehabilitation Program
For many COVID-19 survivors, they will continue to face physical, cognitive, or mental health problems after their initial recovery. To address the unique needs of each COVID-19 patient, Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital is dedicated to providing specialized, multidisciplinary care for the rehabilitation of patients post COVID-19.
Who is eligible?
Spaulding welcomes patients who have tested positive and received treatment for Coronavirus to their COVID-19 recovery programs to help address and ease long-term affects. The COVID-19 recovery program helps address a wide range of physical symptoms following recovery and is available at all of our Outpatient Center locations.
What symptoms do we address?
Patients who are recovering from the COVID-19 novel coronavirus may experience various symptoms. Recovery from a critical illness affects everyone differently, and our team creates treatment plans to fit each individual. Some of the common symptoms following COVID recovery that we address include
- Shortness of breath
- Chest pain
- Joint pain
- Functional impairment
- Weakness and balance problems
We know that patients recovering from COVID-19 may also experience emotional and psychological symptoms including depression and anxiety. Spaulding Rehabilitation has a variety of support groups as well as a network of behavioral and mental health professionals who can support you throughout your rehabilitation.
Coronavirus Recovery Care and Services
Our clinic will provide a number of services based on each patient’s individual need. Our multidisciplinary physician-led team consists of physiatrists, physical therapists, occupational therapists, speech language pathologists, and case managers.
- Patients will have an initial evaluation with a physiatrist to assess their neurologic, musculoskeletal, cognitive, and psychological needs,
- Physical therapists will conduct evaluations following discharge and design an individualized, home-based exercise program to address the patient’s musculoskeletal, and neurologic impairments
- Occupational therapy sessions will be offered to help patients who have difficulty performing activities of daily living including eating, bathing, dressing, and toileting.
- Speech language pathologists will be offered to provide assistance with swallowing and cognitive impairments.
- Ongoing rehabilitation care can be continued at one of our convenient Spaulding Outpatient Center sites when in person visits are appropriate
- Translator services are available for non-English speaking patients.
- Virtual visits, outpatient rehabilitation and home-based rehabilitation are available.
To learn more about support groups and other mental health-related information and resources, please visit the National Alliance on Mental Illness's Resources Page.
The COVID Rehabilitation Program is available at all of the Spaulding Outpatient Center locations. Please contact a location that is convenient for you. For more information on Spaulding's Rehabilitation Program, please contact our Medical Clinic at 617.952.6220.
Levels of Care
Along the way, your recovery is supported by some the most advanced rehabilitation treatments, research and programs available that create a continuum of care.
- Spaulding Outpatient Center Boston
- Spaulding Outpatient Center Braintree
- Spaulding Outpatient Center Brighton
- Spaulding Outpatient Center Cambridge
- Spaulding Outpatient Center Cape Ann
- Spaulding Outpatient Center Downtown Crossing
- Spaulding Outpatient Center at Emilson YMCA Hanover
- Spaulding Outpatient Center at Jewish Community Center Marblehead
- Spaulding Outpatient Rehabilitation at Kent Hospital East Greenwich
- Spaulding Outpatient Rehabilitation at Kent Hospital Pawtucket
- Spaulding Outpatient Rehabilitation at Kent Hospital Providence
- Spaulding Outpatient Center Lynn
- Spaulding Outpatient Center Malden
- Spaulding Outpatient Center Medford
- Spaulding Outpatient Center Orleans
- Spaulding Outpatient Center Peabody
- Spaulding Outpatient Center Plymouth
- Spaulding Outpatient Center South Shore YMCA Quincy
- Spaulding Outpatient Center Salem
- Spaulding Outpatient Center Sandwich
- Spaulding Outpatient Center Wellesley
- Spaulding Outpatient Center Westborough
- Spaulding Outpatient Center Hyannis
- Spaulding Outpatient Center at YMCA Marblehead