Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation at Spaulding Sandwich
When potentially life-altering injury occurs, coordinated, compassionate care and the support of clinicians dedicated to pioneering improved therapies can make all the difference to your immediate and long-term recovery. Within our Rehabilitation Network, supporting your return to an active, productive and fulfilling life is the goal behind everything we do.
The hub of our Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation (SCI) program is the Spaulding New England Regional Spinal Cord Injury Center (SNERSCIC), led by SCI experts at Spaulding Boston, a Center of Excellence in SCI rehabilitation. With the guidance of our physicians and other rehabilitation specialists and with access to some of the most advanced technologies available today, you will have the resources to reach your highest level of recovery – and find successful, enriching ways to live independently.
Spaulding's Approach to Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation
Hospital Rehab Spinal Cord Injury Program
Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital Boston
Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital Cape Cod
Our inpatient rehabilitation hospital teams create an individualized rehabilitation plan to address the medical, physical, and psychological effects associated with your spinal cord injury.
As part of your rehabilitation, you will have access to:
- Rehabilitation physician-led teams, which include physical, occupational, speech, and recreational therapists, music therapists, case managers, social workers, mental health and internal medicine specialists, nurses with specialized training in spinal cord rehabilitation, registered dieticians and respiratory therapists. The team will also work with community organizations to help identify opportunities to improve a transition to the community.
- Training to teach family members how to assist with specific therapeutic activities during hospital treatment and after you transition to the community
- Proven therapeutic interventions, depending on the severity of your injury, including balance and mobility training; speech, swallowing and breathing strategies; cognitive retraining and strategies, behavior and safety techniques; dressing, bathing and other activities of daily living; and bowel and bladder management. State of the art technology is incorporated into individual treatment sessions to help achieve established goals.
- Individual peer counseling and participation in community support groups
Long-term Acute Care
Spaulding Hospital for Continuing Medical Care Cambridge
Long-term Acute Care Hospitals (LTAC) are for people whose spinal cord injury is severe or combined with other serious medical problems. Oftentimes, patients in need of LTAC-level care have complex medical and rehabilitation needs and are transferred directly from an acute hospital intensive-care unit (ICU) to one of our facilities.
As part of our LTAC programs, patients receive:
- More intensive medical services than a nursing home and patients generally stay for a longer period of time.
- A wide range of medical services as specialized physicians, nurses, therapists, and other clinicians work together to provide specific medical treatments.
- Specialty nursing services
- Rehabilitation services provided as needed by physical therapists, occupational therapists, speech language pathologists, therapeutic recreation specialists, music therapists
Skilled Nursing Stroke Rehabilitation Programs
Spaulding Nursing and Therapy Center Brighton
Skilled Nursing Facilities (SNFs) are for people whose spinal cord injury may be less severe or have improved enough medically to no longer need hospital level care. Our SNF program are right for people who require short-term rehabilitation care including physical therapy, occupational therapy, and speech therapy, combined with medical oversight.
Our goal is to get you home as quickly as possible, fully equipped to perform tasks necessary for everyday living.
Outpatient Rehabilitation Programs
Outpatient rehabilitative care is for patients who have progressed from inpatient hospital rehabilitation or skilled nursing and returned home, but still needs help regaining complete functional independence, returning to work or re-engaging in a sport or physical activity.
Outpatient services include:
- Physical, occupational and speech therapy
- Physical medicine and rehabilitation
- Specialty services including assistive technologies, audiology, driver assessment, orthotics, vestibular rehabilitation, vision rehabilitation, wheelchair clinics and more*
- Adaptive Sports and Recreation Program
- Aquatic Therapy
If you’re searching for a spinal cord injury treatment center that you can trust, contact the spinal cord injury experts at Spaulding Rehabilitation.
When potentially life-altering spinal cord injury (SCI) occurs, you need the best spinal cord injury rehab available to you. Spaulding's Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation centers offer coordinated, compassionate care and the support of clinicians dedicated to pioneering improved spinal cord therapies that make all the difference to your immediate and long-term recovery. Within our Rehabilitation Network, supporting your return to an active, productive and fulfilling life is the goal behind everything we do.