- Inpatient Rehabilitation Facilities:
- Long-Term Acute Care:
- Skilled Nursing Facilities:
- Outpatient Facilities:
- Boston - Downtown Crossing
Gloucester - Cape
- Lexington - Pediatrics
Your New Spaulding Hospital
At the Spaulding Rehabilitation Network, we are excited about our plans underway to build a new hospital in Charlestown and relocate Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital from its Nashua Street site. Your New Hospital will be on First Avenue in the Charlestown Navy Yard.
Your New Hospital will be a very special resource for Greater Boston, New England, and beyond. It will greatly enhance clinical capacities, provide comfortable and accessible patient accommodations, promote a truly transformative clinical research enterprise, and be a source of aesthetic enjoyment for the community.
The hospital will be located on a beautiful site with harbor views and dock facilities for therapeutic water sports and community use. The new site will allow water access for patients to canoe, kayak, and windsurf as part of the Weingarten Adaptive Sports and Recreation Program.
It will be Boston’s first stand-alone hospital to be built according to “green” building principles, with copious natural lighting and ventilation, and constructed with environmentally friendly building materials. The hospital is designed for comfort, accessibility, and clinical effectiveness, informed by the core belief that variation in human ability is ordinary, not special.
The design supports a holistic therapeutic approach that will help restore patients’ independence and facilitate their transition back into the community, while at the same time welcoming the public, at all levels of ability and mobility.
Your New Hospital will include:
- All patient rooms will be private, spacious, and with wheelchair-accessible bathrooms and showers
- Large dining rooms on each inpatient floor where patients can visit with friends and family, and multi-purpose spaces where patients can socialize and participate in therapeutic activities
- More than three times the therapy space of the existing hospital
- An aquatics center with two state-of-the-art therapy pools, including one equipped for comprehensive muscular rehabilitation
- An expanded outpatient center that will greatly improve the outpatient experience with a large, modern gym and more therapy space
- A dedicated pediatric unit that will offer the most advanced therapies and care for children
- Public spaces designed for accessibility that include natural lighting, a therapeutic rooftop garden overlooking Boston Harbor, and outdoor therapeutic recreation facilities for patient and community use
- Plentiful underground, accessible parking to make the facility convenient for patients and visitors
- Enhanced laboratory facilities and a hub for the Center for the Cure and Treatment of Paralysis and other research initiatives
- Expanded gymnasiums with state-of-the-art equipment for inpatient and outpatient use
- A new conference center available for public use, for lectures or as meeting space; the hospital will use it for staff education and other gatherings
Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital is known for its strength in providing quality treatment and staying at the forefront of clinical research despite the many limitations of its current physical facility. Now Spaulding seeks to build on those strengths and be the best rehabilitation hospital in the nation and a global center of rehabilitation research. To learn more about the construction of Your New Hospital and Spaulding's involvement in the Charlestown community, please click here.
We welcome the community’s support of our efforts to build this brand-new, state-of-the-art hospital to meet today’s rehabilitation needs. If you would like to donate to the Your New Hospital Campaign, please contact:
Steven Patrick, Vice President of Development
Phone: (617) 573-2900
Clinical Trials at Spaulding
Spaulding is part of Partners HealthCare's Clinical Research Network. Enrollment opportunities exist across many therapeutic categories.