The Spaulding Rehabilitation Network is dedicated to enabling individuals of all abilities to lead active, healthy lifestyles. Participation in sports and recreational pursuits helps to make this possible.
Spaulding Adaptive Sports programs began in Boston and on Cape Cod in 2001 and in the North Shore in 2010. Since then, programming has expanded in these regions to include a broad range of land- and water-based adaptive sporting activities, all delivered with careful attention to value of sports and fitness in the rehabilitation process. Spaulding now offers adaptive sports and recreation programs from Cape Ann to Cape Cod.
Whether it is wheelchair tennis, hand cycling, adaptive rowing, or windsurfing, those living with disabilities after illness or injury can rebuild their strength and sense of independence while they increase body awareness, build self-confidence, learn new life skills, and even make new friends.
Children and adults can participate in Spaulding Adaptive Sports programs under the supervision of adaptive sports professionals as well as Spaulding therapists, providing the perfect environment to try a new sport or get back to one you have always loved. Our trained staff will help identify activities most appropriate for each participant, based on his or her capabilities.
Spaulding Adaptive Sports Centers:
- Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital Boston – The Dr. Charles H. Weingarten Adaptive Sports & Recreation Program is based on the main campus of Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital in the Charlestown Navy Yard. The program was founded in 2001 and was named in memory of the late Dr. Charles H. Weingarten, former Medical Director at Spaulding Boston. Regular programming is offered on variable weekdays from May through October.
- Spaulding Hospital Cape Cod (Sandwich, MA) – The Spaulding Cape Cod Adaptive Sports program was founded in 2001 with a grant from the United States Golf Association (USGA) to develop an adaptive golf program now called “Back in the Swing.” In 2007, the programming was expanded to include land and water sports across Cape Cod. Event-based programming is offered May through October, and a regular adaptive cycling club meets every other Wednesday from Memorial Day to Labor Day at the Cape Cod Canal in Sandwich.
- Spaulding Hospital North Shore (Salem, MA) – Spaulding Adaptive Sports brought programming to the North Shore area in 2010. Land- and water-based adaptive sporting opportunities are offered June through August on varying Tuesdays and Fridays.
Sports activities vary by the season and location and include:
- Land sports – Cycling, golf, glide cycle, tennis, wall climbing, hiking, camping, fishing
- Water sports – Outrigger canoeing, waterskiing, rowing, kayaking, sailing, paddle boating, windsurfing
- Other activities – Fencing, beach access, stunt kite flying, therapeutic drumming, alpine skiing, nordic skiing, curling, fitness programming
View the most up to date schedule here. For more information and to register, please call Mark Priest, Network Registration Specialist, at 877.976.7272.