Parkinson’s Disease at Spaulding Boston (SRH)
Parkinson’s disease (PD) is far more than a movement disorder. It’s a thief. We understand the toll it can take on you and your family. But we also know how to help you take back control and take back your life. The right combination of medical treatment and physical and occupational therapy can help you maintain your functionality and your freedom.
The evolving knowledge of Parkinson’s disease combined with improvements in medical intervention and rehabilitation techniques offer new hope. Research also shows how complex and individualized Parkinson’s and related movement disorders really are, which informs our approach: we believe the right, comprehensive rehabilitation can extend your ability to remain active and keep you living at home longer.
Spaulding's Approach to Parkinson’s Disease
Whether you are in the early or advanced stages of Parkinson’s disease, our experts in neuro-rehabilitation will help you get the most out of each day. We will create a treatment plan specific to your needs with careful attention to the effectiveness of medications. You will learn strategies and techniques to deal with the multiple effects of PD (from tremors and gait disturbance to depression and lack of energy), that you can apply in your daily activities.
Our multiple levels of care throughout the Spaulding Rehabilitation can meet your needs at every stage of the disease.
Inpatient Parkinson's Program
Spaulding’s Inpatient Parkinson’s Program components may include:
- Comprehensive management of the person’s medical, functional, and behavioral needs with a focus on promoting independence and safety
- Medical consultation with neurologist or rehabilitation physician
- 24-hour nursing care with a focus on medication management
- Physical, occupational, and speech therapies as needed
- Education for patient and family
- Nutrition counseling and support
- Advanced rehabilitation technologies, including assistive technologies, body-weight support systems, and electrical stimulation devices
- Speech therapies including the Lee Silverman Voice Treatment (LSVT)
- Education in fall prevention
Outpatient Parkinson’s Program
Spaulding's Outpatient Parkinson’s Program components may include:
- Comprehensive evaluation of the patient’s medical, functional, and behavioral status
- Physical, occupational, and speech therapies as needed, including LSVT
- Parkinson’s Exercise and Wellness Program
- Parkinson’s Healthy Mindset Program
- Adaptive Sports Program
- Vibrant Voices
- Orthotics Clinic
- Wheelchair Clinic
- Spaulding Cape Cod Rock Steady Boxing Program
Read the Rock Steady Boxing Program flyer (PDF) >
Spaulding is conducting research to advance function and quality of life for persons living with Parkinson’s disease. Spaulding physicians and other clinicians are pursuing three research studies and clinical trials focused on monitoring motor fluctuations with a wearable sensor system and predicting upper limb rigidity by analyzing speech patterns.