Spaulding’s Brain Injury Rehabilitation program has been carefully designed, understanding that a brain injury can be devastating for the individual and their family. We encourage patients to never give up, to find the strength and courage to move forward and be the very best they can be.
Spaulding is a leading researcher of traumatic brain injury and consistently pushes the field forward. The Discovery Center for Brain Injury and Concussion Recovery at Spaulding is dedicated to uncovering and testing new groundbreaking therapies and treatments for brain injuries.
What is a Traumatic Brain Injury?
A traumatic brain injury (TBI) can simply be defined as a disruption in the normal brain function of the brain as the result of some type of trauma to the head, possibly a jostling, blow, or bump to the head and--in some cases--even a penetrating head injury. From 2006-2014, traumatic related injuries increased 53% in the United States. Side effects of a traumatic brain injury included in mild cases are loss of consciousness and a short change in mental status, while more severe cases may result in extended periods of unconsciousness or long-term memory loss after the injury. Fortunately, the CDC reports that most brain injuries in the United States are mild cases.
Spaulding's Brain Injury Rehabilitation Centers provide cutting-edge rehabilitative care for adults and children recovering from a traumatic brain injury. We also provide care for non-traumatic brain injuries resulting from an illness, oxygen deprivation, stroke, or other cause. For milder traumas, Spaulding also offers Concussion care. Our brain injury rehabilitation care includes advanced evaluation techniques, care and rehabilitation programs adapted to a patient's needs and progress, and extensive family and community support.
Our physicians, nurses, therapists and other specialists are trained to evaluate and treat the physical, cognitive, and behavioral consequences of acquired and traumatic brain injuries. Our brain injury rehab centers and dedicated specialists are dedicated to helping you return to a more independent and productive life.
Your treatment team includes:
- Physical And Occupational Therapists
- Speech-Language Pathologists
- Respiratory Therapists
- Behavioral Psychologists
- Case Managers
- Social Workers
- Therapeutic Recreation Specialists
- Music Therapists
- Clinical Dieticians
- Spiritual care
Brain Injury Rehabilitation: Spaulding’s Comprehensive Program & Approach
Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital Boston, Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital Cape Cod
The Spaulding Rehabilitation Network has numerous brain injury rehab centers conveniently located near you. Our inpatient rehabilitation hospital teams create an individualized rehabilitation plan to address the medical, physical, cognitive, behavioral and psychological effects associated with your brain injury.
As part of your brain injury rehabilitation program, you will have access to:
- Rehabilitation physician-led teams, which include physical, occupational, speech, and recreational therapists, music therapists, case managers, social workers, mental health and internal medicine specialists, nurses with specialized training in brain injury, registered dieticians and respiratory therapists. The team also works with community organizations to help ease the transition to the next level of care.
- Proven therapeutic interventions to help improve function and safety
- Counseling to help you adjust to change and plan for the future
- Training to teach family members how to assist with specific therapeutic activities during hospital treatment and after you transition to the next level of care.
*Programs vary by location
Spaulding Hospital for Continuing Medical Care Cambridge
Long-term Acute Care Hospitals (LTAC) are for people whose brain injury is severe or combined with other serious medical problems. Often, patients in need of LTAC-level care have complex medical and brain injury rehabilitation needs and are transferred directly from an acute hospital intensive-care unit (ICU) to one of our facilities.
As part of our LTAC programs, patients receive:
- More intensive medical services than a nursing home and patients generally stay for a longer period of time.
- A wide range of medical services as specialized physicians, nurses, therapists, and other clinicians work together to provide specific medical treatments.
- Specialty nursing services including: wound care, telemetry, dialysis, and rehabilitation therapy.
- Brain injury rehabilitation services are provided by physical therapists, occupational therapists, speech language pathologists, therapeutic recreation specialists, music therapists.
Spaulding Nursing and Therapy Center Brighton
Skilled Nursing Facilities (SNFs) are for people whose non-traumatic or traumatic brain injury may be less severe or have improved enough medically to no longer need hospital level care. Our SNF program is designted for people who require short-term rehabilitation care including Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, and Speech therapy, combined with medical oversight.
Our goal is to get you home as quickly as possible, fully equipped to perform tasks necessary for everyday living.
Outpatient Brain Injury Rehabilitation
Outpatient brain injury rehabilitative care is for patients who progressed from hospital rehabilitation or skilled nursing and returned home, but still needs help regaining complete functional independence, returning to work or re-engaging in a sport or physical activity.
Outpatient services include:
- Physical Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Speech therapy
- Prescription Medication
- Recommendation of enrolling in one of our Adaptive Sports and Recreation Programs
- Aquatic Therapy
Spaulding Outpatient Center Boston
Spaulding Outpatient Center Framingham
Spaulding Outpatient Center Medford
Spaulding Outpatient Center Orleans
Spaulding Outpatient Center Plymouth
Spaulding Outpatient Center Salem
Spaulding Outpatient Center Sandwich
Spaulding for Children Eileen M. Ward Outpatient Center Sandwich
Spaulding Outpatient Center Wellesley
Spaulding Outpatient Center Hyannis