COVID Rehabilitation Program
For many COVID-19 survivors, they will continue to face physical, cognitive, or mental health problems after diagnosis. To address these multifaceted recovery needs, Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital is dedicated to providing specialized, multidisciplinary care for the rehabilitation of patients post COVID-19.
Who is eligible?
Spaulding welcomes patients who have had a positive laboratory diagnosis of COVID-19 and continue to experience recovery symptoms.
What symptoms do we address?
Patients who are recovering from a critical illness may experience various symptoms. Some of the common symptoms following a critical illness that we address include physical symptoms such as functional impairment, weakness and balance problems, musculoskeletal pain or contractures, deconditioning, and dysphagia.
Care and Services
Our clinic will provide a number of services based on each patient’s individual need. Our multidisciplinary physician-led team consists of physiatrists, physical therapists, occupational therapists, speech language pathologists, and case managers.
- Patients will have an initial evaluation with a physiatrist to assess their neurologic, musculoskeletal, cognitive, and psychological needs,
- Physical therapists will conduct evaluations following discharge and design an individualized, home-based exercise program to address the patient’s musculoskeletal, and neurologic impairments
- Occupational therapy sessions will be offered to help patients who have difficulty performing activities of daily living including eating, bathing, dressing, and toileting.
- Speech language pathologists will be offered to provide assistance with swallowing and cognitive impairments.
- Ongoing rehabilitation care can be continued at one of our convenient Spaulding Outpatient Center sites when in person visits are appropriate
- Translator services are available for non-English speaking patients.
- Virtual visits, outpatient rehabilitation and home-based rehabilitation are available.
To learn more about support groups and other COVID-19 related information and resources, please visit the National Alliance on Mental Illness's COVID-19 Resource Page.
For more information on Spaulding's Rehabilitation Program, please contact our Medical Clinic at 617.952.6220.
To learn more about Spaulding COVID-19 response, click here.